The allergic reactions I used to experience with my skin are fortunately, largely a thing of the past – I exclude food and products that make me react and I can use prescribed creams and anti-allergy medication that I can use to stop things escalate if I get the odd flare-up.
I don’t like to rely too heavily on medicine though, so last month when I got a flare up, I decided to work on two food-based solutions to help my skin. Both drinks are packed with vitamins, fats and antioxidants that are particularly beneficial for your skin.
The first concentrates on anti-inflammatory ingredients that will hopefully help you to reduce the angry redness of inflamed skin, and the second is full of essential nutrients to keep your skin strong and healthy from the inside out. If your symptoms are severe then I don’t believe they are a solution by themselves but I find I recover much more quickly when I eat/drink these foods. And the best bonus of all? They taste really good, without any added sweeteners!
Skin-Soothing Blueberry-Pineapple Smoothie
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed (mixed with 1/3 cup/80ml water, 15 mins earlier)
- 1 avocado, peeled and destoned
- 1 cup/250ml milk of choice (I used almond for extra skin benefits)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Put the flaxseed mixture, avocado and milk in a blender and blitz until completely combined.
- Add the frozen fruit and dates.
- Blend again until thick and smooth.
- Taste and add extra dates or maple syrup if you’d like it sweeter.
- Pour into glasses and serve!
Skin-Strengthening Pomegranate and Pumpkin Seed Smoothie
- Seeds from 1 large pomegranate/¾ cup
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 cup/250ml milk of choice
- 3 bananas, chopped and frozen
- ¼ cup goji berries (optional)
- Put all the ingredients except the banana in a blender and blitz until combined.
- Gradually add the frozen banana, blending to make a thick, ice-cream milkshake-textured smoothie.
- Pour into glasses or bowls to serve.