How are we all doing? It’s the 4th day of the new year – which means the 4th day of my ‘7 of 7’ healthy recipe kickstart – are you raring to go or are these grey days starting to get to you? If it’s the latter, don’t worry – today’s recipe is one of the simplest and most delicious yet!
I actually created this golden milk smoothie bowl way back in October – I made it up on the fly one morning and noted it down when I saw what a hit it was on Instagram. Now seems like the perfect time to share! Full of the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric and ginger with omega-3 essential fatty acids and antioxidants from the flaxseed, all in a creamy frozen banana and almond milk base – this smoothie tastes almost too good to be this healthy! This recipe is the perfect portion for one but can be easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled if you’re not alone on this healthy journey 🙂
N.B. If you can, try not to forget the black pepper – you can’t taste it at all but it helps with the absorption of curcumin – an active compound of turmeric with powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- 2 large ripe bananas, cut into pieces and frozen
- 200ml (¾ cup plus a splash) almond milk
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed, ground
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- black pepper
- Take the banana out of the freezer to soften.
- Meanwhile, put the milk, flaxseed, turmeric and ginger and some black pepper (a good few turns of a grinder is plenty) in a blender. Whizz until combined.
- Gradually add the banana, blending until smooth and adding a little extra milk if needed (this will depend on how powerful your blender is.
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings of choice if desired.