My quest for natural (or at least ‘more natural’) beauty products has presented me with a whole lot of challenges but it has also made me think about how much will we will unquestioningly spend on things if they are packaged in the right way.
The best example I’ve found of this is body scrubs – they are so easy to make! There are far more diy recipes on Pinterest than I’ll ever get around to trying but honestly, once you’ve done it yourself a few times, you don’t really need to follow recipes. They can be basic or fancy with extra ingredients such as rose petals, citrus peel and vanilla (feel free to share your suggestions in the comments). They also make great homemade gifts if you package them with pretty labels and ribbon and they last ages too.
But if you just want a bit of pampering me-time RIGHT NOW, then this is as speedy as it gets:
For 1 (enough for a hand or foot scrub)
- 2 Tbsp nourishing liquid oil – olive, avocado, almond or melted coconut (just make sure it’s not too hot!)
- 2 Tbsp sugar or salt (use fine sugar for sensitive skin and coarser grains such as epsom salt for hard skin)
- Essential oil such as lavender (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Gently work into skin in stimulating circular motions.
- Rinse off with soap and warm water and pat skin dry with a towel.
- Follow up with your favourite moisturiser (if you like).