Back when I was in junior school, we weren’t allowed into the school building before the school bell rang in the morning. This meant a lot of winter mornings were spent out on a frosty playground, exhaling ‘dragon’s breath’ and shivering between games of tig. Luckily, our school kitchen had a solution: From a little hatch that opened out from the kitchens on to the school grounds, the dinner ladies would sell cups of hot blackcurrant squash (a bargain at 10p) to keep us warm until 9am. It was just ordinary squash but wow, I remember it fondly! This drink is my grown-up, festive version for you. Snuggle up!
- 1 carton/1 litre cranberry juice (I used the no added sugar kind)
- 2 oranges, cut into slices
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Juice squeezed from a 5-6cm piece of grated root ginger
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan on a mid-low heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the juice into glasses and serve!