Sometimes when I’m creating recipes, I plan nearly the whole thing in my head first. Other times, necessity is definitely the mother of invention. As the cold days and even colder nights are drawing in, I am becoming ever less motivated to drag myself to the shops. It’s so much nicer staying cosy indoors! But ironically we are now in more need than ever of a warm and nourishing breakfast.
Step forward, Coconut-Banana Overnight Oats, made almost entirely of store-cupboard ingredients: creamy coconut-soaked oats, sweet bananas and sultanas (not intentionally rhyming there!), crunchy pecans and a hint of warming cinnamon. These oats are also delicious served cold, but I really like the way the hot version warms you up from the inside!
- ⅓ cup/40g oats
- ¼ cup/20g desiccated coconut
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 heaped Tbsp sultanas
- 1 small handful of pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup/250ml milk of choice (I used Alpro Coconut for extra flavour)
- 1 ripe banana, chopped
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients except the cinnamon in a bowl or tupperware. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat through and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
- You can add toasted coconut flakes and extra nuts/banana if you like.