I had such a lot of love for this easy breakfast when I posted it on my instagram recently that I decided to put it on here too. I actually just came to it by throwing things that I had in my cupboard together – so if you are missing or don’t like any of the ingredients, just remember the recipe is very forgiving and you can just substitute it for something else (or leave it out altogether).
This is the combination that I liked so much I had to work backwards to try and recreate though! Everything just goes so well together – the tangy coconut yogurt and chocolatey hit of cacao powder is balanced perfectly by the sweetness of the mashed banana, medjool dates and maca – and the oats are great at keeping you satisfied ’til lunchtime (even a snack monster like me!). Like most overnight oat recipes, it’s extremely low maintenance – you just stir everything together the night before – and it works great with all different kinds of toppings: I like cashew butter and granola but it’s also delicious with berries and coconut flakes – or anything else you can think of!
Makes 4-6 portions
- 2 cups/200g oats
- 2 cups/500ml milk of your choice (I use almond)
- 2 cups/500ml coconut yogurt (approx the amount in one of those big tubs)
- 6 medjool dates (about 100g), pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup/50g cacao nibs
- ⅓ cup/45g pistachios or pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2½ Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2½ Tbsp maca powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 2 pods)
- (optional) 1-2 Tbsp sweetener such as maple syrup or honey, depending on taste and the ripeness of your bananas
- Stir all the ingredients together the night before.
- Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed Tupperware.
- In the morning, loosen up the oats with a little extra milk (optional), then scoop a portion into a bowl, add toppings and enjoy!