Even if you like making food like I do, you might sometimes find you get bored making breakfast (maybe it’s because we’re still ‘thawing out’ when we’ve just woken up and can’t get motivated?). Anyway, to combat that, I have a new routine of making overnight oats FOR THE WHOLE WEEK! (ok, four days). And the bonus side effect of this is now that I’m not making them on autopilot anymore, I’ve found I’m a lot more up for experimenting with different flavours.
At the moment I’m loving Chocolate-Cherry flavour (chocolate for breakfast and it’s healthy? Win.) but if you don’t fancy it, why not use the overnight oats base and add your own flavours (I recommend a mixture of fresh/frozen fruit and dry mix-ins). Don’t forget to share any tasty discoveries!
Serves 2 (just increase the quantities for multiple days/people)
Overnight Oats Base
- 1 cup/110g oats
- 1½ cups/375ml milk of your choice
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
For the Chocolate Cherry Version
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao nibs
- ¾ cup frozen (or fresh) pitted cherries
- Stir all the ingredients together the night before.
- Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed Tupperware.
- In the morning, loosen up the oats with a little extra milk (optional), then scoop a portion into a bowl and enjoy!
- If you’re feeling indulgent, top with toasted coconut flakes, fresh cherries, cashew cream or chocolate chips (or ALL of them!).