I am a massive fan of the chocolate-cherry combo (just see my Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats) and after being inspired by a Black Forest Gateau my husband made for my birthday (this was a big deal as he does not bake!), I have been keeping myself warm through the early months of this year with a cosy porridge version!
It takes all the best bits of the gateau – dark delicious chocolatey-ness, sweet cherries, a creamy texture – and reinvents it as something good for you! It’s sweet enough to remind you of dessert, but you can handle eating it first thing in the morning – morning after morning! There’s no refined sugars in it – just the natural sweetness of the cherries and a few dates – but if you’re feeling indulgent you could always add a splash of soya cream or a swirl of coconut yogurt. I personally like it topped with cacao nibs – for an extra chocolate kick – more cherries and golden flaxseed.
NB: I use frozen cherries because they are more affordable, but fresh cherries will obviously work beautifully too.
Serves 1 (but easily multiplied for more people)
- ½ cup/55g oats
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 medium dates, pitted
- ½ cup/125ml milk of choice
- heaped ½ cup/75g frozen cherries
- 1 Tbsp almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- Place the oats, cacao powder and salt in a small saucepan.
- Put the pitted dates in a blender and add 1 cup/250ml of just boiled water. Blend until the dates are mostly combined.
- Pour the date-water into the saucepan and add the milk and cherries.
- Bring to a simmer, then stir regularly until the porridge is a thick consistency (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the almond butter and cook a few minutes longer.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!