In case you haven’t had it before, bircher muesli – fruit, oats and nuts soaked overnight in milk and yogurt – is the perfect grab and go breakfast. It only requires a little prep and you can make ahead a bigger batch for the week ahead. You can make it in as many variations as you can think of, using different fruit and nuts mixed in, but this basic recipe is one that I come back to again and again.
I love it topped simply with fresh fruit and granola but it’s really versatile so you can try nuts, seeds, coconut, compote or even chopped up energy bars. Or it’s super tasty just all on its own.
Serves 2 (multiply quantities for a make ahead batch)
- 1 cup/110g oats
- 1 cup/250ml thick yogurt (I love it with coconut yogurt)
- 1 cup/250ml milk of choice (I usually use almond)
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- a large handful of dried cranberries
- a large handful of apricots, chopped (or sometimes I use goji berries)
- a large handful of hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Put all the ingredients in a tupperware and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, portion into bowls or glasses, add toppings if you like and serve!