Good morning all! It’s day two of my ‘7 for 7’ recipe collection and this one’s a cracker! It’s super easy to make and is completely packed with veggie goodness and is pulled together (and made genuinely moreish) by a punchy sumac marinade and the nourishing sweetness of the dates and pomegranate.
And – for anyone – like me – who hates cold food in cold weather (except when under a duvet) – it’s warm! Those sweet and smoky flavours really meld in the bowl and it is just so nourishing with plant protein, healthy fats and essential vitamins and minerals.
Make your shopping list now and enjoy feeling smug about all the good you are doing your body! 😉
Serves 2 to 3
- a few handfuls/70g rocket
- 1 medium aubergine, cut into bitesize chunks
- 1 tin/400g (240g drained weight) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- a handful/60g of fine asparagus
- ½ cup/75g/6 medium medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup/45g green pitted olives, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- seeds from ½ pomegranate
- 1 tsp sumac, plus extra
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt, plus extra
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup/60ml olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Start by making the dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a jar and give it a good shake.
- Place the aubergine chunks in a small bowl and pour over the marinade, making sure that every piece is well-coated. Set aside (for around 20 minutes if you have time to spare).
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, and add the aubergine. Saute for a few minutes before adding the chickpeas and a little extra sumac and salt. When the aubergine is starting to soften, add the asparagus (or use another pan if it’s not big enough). The veg is done when the chickpeas start to pop and the asparagus is tender.
- Toss together the warm veg with the rocket, dates and avocado, then top with the pomegranate seeds.
- Serve drizzled with a little olive oil and seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.