This smoothie bowl looks and tastes like dessert but it’s actually a really nutritious way for you to start the day – packing in vitamins, minerals, fibre and healthy fats from the fruit, nuts and seeds. Roses are not only anti-inflammatory and full of of vitamin C – which is great for your skin and body – but they also combine beautifully with the strawberries to make this bowl fragrant and moreish! It’s probably entirely psychological but I’m convinced that the beautiful scent of this breakfast is an instant mood booster.
The cashews and frozen bananas make the whole thing super creamy and it’s rounded out with lots of crispy toppings to provide texture and contrast. I’ve made it with my favourites but feel free to swap in whatever nuts, seeds, fruit and granola you have to hand.
- 3 ripe bananas, cut into pieces and frozen
- ½ cup/6 frozen strawberries
- ½ cup/75g cashews, soaked overnight and then drained
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup/250ml milk of choice
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Optional toppings: rose petals, coconut flakes, freeze-dried strawberries, fresh strawberries and toasted flaked almonds
- Take the banana and strawberries out of the freezer to soften.
- Place all ingredients except the toppings in a blender and blend until thick and smooth. If your blender is not very powerful you may want to add the frozen fruit gradually instead.
- Divide the smoothie between two bowls and add the toppings or ones of your choice.
- Cut the mango into chunks, removing the peel. Add to the blender.