Since today is my birthday, I decided I needed an extra special breakfast to share with you. Now you guys know that I can’t resist a smoothie bowl – and this one is in my favourite flavour: chocolate! And of course – like my very favourite recipes, it tastes incredibly indulgent whilst still being pretty damn good for you. It has a similar taste to my other favourite smoothie on the blog – Choco Nut – but is nut-free (except some of the toppings) with a malty, oatier taste (as you might expect!)
The oats and seed butter make it nice and filling whilst the banana and dates add a delicious natural sweetness, and the cacao (as well as being as brilliant source of essential nutrients) just makes it that irresistibly chocolatey!
Now – as it is my birthday – I have made it just a tiny bit less healthy with some of the toppings: shards of dark and (dairy-free) white chocolate and maple-glazed pecans – but it does come just once a year, so I think that’s just how a birthday breakfast should be!
The Night Before
- ⅔ cup/75g oats
- 1 cup/250ml milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 1 pod)
In the Morning
- ⅓ cup/80ml milk of choice
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
Choose from splintered chocolate, pecans (glazed or plain), cacao nibs, almond butter, flaked almonds, coconut chips or anything else you fancy!
- Combine all the Night Before ingredients, cover and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, place the Tupperware mixture in a blender and whizz until thick and smooth.
- Add the Morning ingredients (the frozen banana gradually if your blender is not very powerful) and continue blending until completely combined. The mixture should be the consistency of a thick milkshake.
- Pour/scoop out of the blender and divide between two bowls. Add your toppings and serve!