Hooray! The Big Wide World and Me was recently nominated for a Liebster Award by the lovely Olivia of That Green Olive. For those of you who haven’t heard of it (I hadn’t), Liebster is a German word that means sweetheart or beloved (basically all things lovely!) and the idea behind the award is to discover and support new blogs. I think it’s a wonderful idea and I’m really touched to be one of the blogs that Olivia chose.
Meet My Nominator:
Olivia is a passionate foodie whose focus is whole, plant-based foods. Her website is packed full of beautiful vegan recipes that will get your mouthwatering but are surprisingly easy to whip up – case in point: check out her Loaded Gingerbread Popcorn with Caramelised Spiced Nuts, Chocolate Tahini Sauce & Strawberries. Nom! Oh, and did I mention she’s only 15? I’m pretty sure my head was still stuck in a tub of Ben & Jerry’s at that age!
10 Things About Me:
Part of the Liebster Award is that your Nominator will come up with 10 questions for you to answer so that they (and the rest of the world) can learn a bit more about you!). So, without further ado, here are my questions and answers:
What is your favourite style of music (also give a favourite artist and song if you’re feeling good!)
It depends on my mood, but right now if you head over to my Spotify, you’ll see a lot of film soundtracks. When I am writing (I write drama and short stories as well as recipes), I find I get a bit too distracted by music with words but I love using music to help me create an atmosphere in my head so cinematic soundtracks are perfect!
Who are your absolute blogging inspirations (bloggers or social media inspirations)?
I suppose when I started blogging I looked a lot at the ‘big’ (i.e. super-famous) bloggers for inspiration, but now I find I visit and am inspired by smaller blogs that are doing something different and tend to be a bit more daring with their ideas. So – I guess you should look out for my list of nominees below! I do still have a massive soft spot for the Minimalist Baker blog though (and a certain 1-Bowl Chocolate Hazelnut Cake).
Pancakes or waffles?
Well…they are both made from the same batter, aren’t they? So, if I’m making a recipe, then pancakes – because not everybody has a waffle iron and I want everybody to be able to make my food. But if I’m eating out then absolutely waffles – because I love the novelty of it!
Tell me about one hobby of yours and why you love it so much!
I am a complete learning nerd so I am always trying something new. Right now, I can observed at the ice rink every Sunday attempting to skate. I love the challenge and that feeling when you master something new.
What is your life motto?
“You cannot change who you are, only what you do”. This is a line from the ‘His Dark Materials’ trilogy by one of my favourite authors, Philip Pullman.
Name at least three things that happened today that you’re grateful for!
Well, I’ve not been up long so…the mini lie-in I had this morning, the mixed berry porridge I ate (ah, the little things) and most importantly, having the time to sit down and write (one of my favourite little luxuries).
What are you known for?
Haha, that might be a better question for one of my friends! But…probably…my endless enthusiasm for trying new things, my baked goods and my themed gift-giving!
If you were a spice, which one would you be? Explain why!
Ummm, ginger! Sweet, but with a kick!
Spill the beans on your most embarrassing moment!
Well I think I am constantly embarrassing myself but have decided that it is better than not doing anything at all! So every week at my beginner ice-skating lessons, I can feel the eyes of other people sitting at the side, probably thinking ‘what is that idiot doing?’ but hey, if you don’t put yourself out there then you can’t make any progress.
What is the ultimate dream for your blog? What do you want to get out of it?
I’d ideally like to get to the stage where blogging could be one of my (paid) jobs, not because I want to be rich particularly (although I’m not against that either!) but because then I could spend more time on it. I’d love for it to become a hub for other people to share their recipes and ideas too and I’d like to feel that people are being inspired by the content I am putting out there.
Melanoma Jo – Jolene is a Stage 4 cancer patient who blogs about the various challenges of living with her disease to raise awareness and understanding. It sounds like it could be a depressing read, but Jo is inspirational, warm and funny and her insights make me smile, laugh and punch the air as often as they make me cry. A real gem.
Vegan on Mondays – Taylor creates beautiful, tasty meals packed full of real and simple ingredients. Just flicking through her recipes makes me hungry – the hardest time you’ll have on her website is deciding what to make!
Living Liberte – Helen is a dancer, circus performer and writer – and so much more! Her blog is an uplifting journey into her thoughts and feelings as she navigates this world and encourages all of us to be our best, kindest and most creative selves. If you’re looking for a nudge to help you seize the day – stop by for Helen’s words of wisdom!
Smoothies and Sunshine – I discovered Melania’s blog through her Instagram feed – her delicious and colourful breakfast bowls have been an inspiration to me ever since I first started blogging and her upbeat attitude always makes my day. Step this way for beautiful and healthy breakfast ideas!
Oats & Ends – Megan is both sporty and healthy – and she makes it look so easy! Her blog is new but focuses on healthy recipes to fuel you up for exercise as well as posts which look at life and fitness goals. Read this to help motivate you off the sofa.
Next Steps for Nominees:
Yay! You’ve been nominated, and that means that someone out there (me!) admires your blog and wants to encourage you on your blogging journey!
If you would like to accept your nomination you can do so by continuing the Liebster Award nomination chain. To do this, follow these steps:
- First acknowledge your nominator by writing up a little bit about their blog. Identify their niche, expain why you love their blog, and give some examples of (according to your opinion) their best posts! This is what will get their blog out into the limelight, as that’s what this award is all about!
- Your nominator will have given you some questions to answer (check their Liebster Award nomination post – they should be in there!). So, you’ll need to answer them! It’s basically like an interview – answer the questions as best as you can, so that your readers will gain a better understanding of you and your blog!
- Select a handful of blogs to nominate yourself! I’ve chosen 5 wonderful blogs as my nominees – but I’d say 5-10 blogs will give you a decent number of nominees. Mention these in your post and link back to their blogs so that people can have a gander! You will also need to provide these blogs with 10 questions for them to answer in their Liebster Award nomination post (see? The whole chain-link idea is making itself clear here! Just follow on from your nominator, and the chain will keep going in that fashion!). Have fun coming up with questions! You want to get to know your nominees a bit more, so ask a good mix of questions (think interests, goals for their blog, why they started, all that kinda stuff.)
- In your post, make sure to include one of the official images for the Liebster Award (find them here), and link back to the official rules for the Liebster Award.
- Make sure to let your nominated bloggers know that you’ve nominated them, otherwise they may not even know about it!
Question Time for My Nominees!
Ok, here’s the fun part! I had lots of fun coming up with these questions so I hope you guys have fun answering and continuing the Liebster Nomination Chain! It’s really nice to be part of bringing so many exciting new blogs into the limelight!
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- What’s the title of the current chapter of your life?
- When you were a child, what did you want to be?
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- What blows your mind whenever you think about it?
- What would be your spirit animal?
- What would a mirror opposite of yourself be like?
- If you could make one rule everyone had to follow – what would it be?
- What is your party trick?
- What is your happy place? (doesn’t have to be literal!)