Looking at the dull white skies outside my window right now, I’d like to pretend I’m anywhere but England in November. But wherever you are right now, this smoothie is great for bringing a little sunshine into your life, as well as strengthening your immune system against an onslaught of winter cold and flu (if you need it). It’s a tasty combo of some of my favourite fruits with a subtle spicy kick and an oaty base to keep you full up. If you want to make sure you can absorb all of the goodness of the turmeric – you can add a twist of black pepper to make it more bioavailable (not so much that you can taste it!)
- 2 large ripe bananas, cut into pieces and frozen
- ½ cup/125g frozen pineapple chunks
- ½ cup/60g oats
- 1 mango
- ½ cup/120ml milk of choice
- ½ cup/120ml orange juice
- 2-3cm piece of ginger
- ½-1 tsp ground turmeric
- Take the banana and pineapple out of the freezer to soften.
- Meanwhile, put the oats, milk, orange juice and turmeric in a blender.
- Finely grate the ginger and squeeze out its juice into the blender.
- Cut the mango into chunks, removing the peel. Add to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the frozen fruit and blend again until thick and smooth, adding any extra milk or juice if required.
- Pour into glasses and serve (garnish with a piece of pineapple like I did if you like!)