These dense and delicious oat bars make a great on-the-go snack as they can stand quite a bit of getting knocked around at the bottom of your bag (not that that ever happens to me…). They get all their sweetness from the fruit in the recipe – something which also makes them smell amazing- every time you open the tin there’s this incredible zesty orange aroma! The macadamia nuts add a tasty crunch and, combined with the oats and banana, are great at keeping you satisfied until your next meal!
Makes around 12
- 2 cups/220g oats
- 2 bananas, mashed
- ½ cup/120g apple puree
- ½ cup/60g dried cranberries
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted plus extra to grease
- 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup/170g macadamia nuts, toasted and roughly, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a baking tin with coconut oil.
- Mix the flaxseed with 3 Tbsps of water to make a flax egg and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Zest the orange using the fine side of a grater, then set the zest aside.
- Squeeze the juice of the orange into a small saucepan and add the dried cranberries. Simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes until all the juice has been absorbed.
- Combine the oats, bananas, apple puree, cranberries, coconut oil, flax egg and macadamia nuts in a large bowl.
- Tip the mixture into the baking tin and press down evenly.
- Put in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes until firm and a light golden colour.
- Allow to cool in the tin, then slice into squares.
- You can store these flapjacks in an airtight tin at room temperature for up to 5 days.