This simple smoothie was such a hit when I shared it on Instagram a while back that I ended up promising to share it on here. It’s super creamy and naturally sweet (although if you like it sweeter, you could try adding a little maple syrup) and makes a great base if you want to make it a little fancier with extra flavourings, although I prefer to keep it as is.
The cauliflower makes it thick and velvety, as well as being a great source of vitamin C, potassium and fibre, whilst the banana and vanilla disguises any vegetable-taste. The oats are full of important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – including avenanthramides which are great for good skin as they have anti-inflammatory and anti-itching effects. I love adding veggies into my smoothies as they are such a good way to keep the sugar levels down AND get you on your way to your five-a-day (or is it ten-a day now?).
Anyway, enjoy! Let me know how you like it in the comments!
- 2 large ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
- 1 cup/250ml (plus a little extra if needed) milk of choice
- 1 cup of frozen cauliflower chunks (or steamed and chilled if your food processor is less powerful)
- ½ cup/50g oats
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 2 pods)
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed (optional)
- Put the milk, cauliflower and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the oats and flaxseed (if using) blend again.
- Finally, gradually add the frozen banana, keeping blending until completely incorporated, adding a little extra milk if the processor needs a little help.
- Divide between two bowls and add toppings – try almond butter and broken up cereal bars!