If, like me, you are trying to eat more healthily whilst battling a persistent sweet tooth, then this is the breakfast for you!
This delicious fruit and chocolate concoction is entirely fruit-sweetened although you wouldn’t know it. Wholesome oats are soaked in orange juice, zest and ripe mashed banana, which contrast brilliantly with the dark chocolate tastiness of raw cacao nibs and powder. The whole bowl is topped off with delicious grilled orange slices and flaked almonds.
If you don’t mind adding in a little sugar (oops!), you can also make it extra moreish by adding a couple of squares of dark orange chocolate (I like Montezuma’s Orange and Geranium 73% Cocoa Solids) – perfect for a weekend treat!
- 1 cup/110g oats
- 1 cup/250ml of orange juice
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 2 vanilla pods) plus a little extra (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 2 Tbsp heaped cacao nibs
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 large orange
- 2 Tbsp flaked almonds
- The night before, combine the oats, orange juice, mashed banana, 2 tsp vanilla extract, sunflower seed butter, cacao nibs, cacao powder, flaxseed and the zest of the orange. Store, covered, in the fridge.
- In the morning, preheat the grill to 180C.
- Cut the skin and pith off the orange and cut into ½cm slices. Arrange on a baking tray and brush with vanilla extract (if using).
- Grill for 10-15 minutes, until just blackening at the edges. Remove from oven.
- While the orange slices are grilling, heat up the porridge on the hob or in the microwave, adding extra liquid (water or more orange juice) if required to reach your desired consistency.
- Divide the porridge between bowls and top with grilled orange slices and almonds.
- Serve and enjoy!