This week’s fruit and veg box contained a glut of oranges – a fruit I don’t tend to use all that much of (even though I find it delicious when I do!). The weather at the moment is a bit too hot and sticky to make my Chocolate Orange Porridge with Grilled Orange Slices but since you can’t beat a Choc-Orange combination (in my book anyway) – I thought I’d dream up a overnight oats version for hot days.
It’s super easy – taking the oats-milk-yogurt base of classic overnight oats and stirring in orange, cacao, vanilla and just a touch of unrefined sugar (although you can leave it out if you want). I love it with the extra indulgence of orange slices and chocolate sauce (whisk up a quick one with cacao powder, coconut oil and maple syrup) – but that’s mainly cause I’m a complete chocolate addict – it’s still pretty tasty without!
Makes 4-6 portions
- 2 cups/200g oats
- 1 cups/250ml milk of your choice (I use almond)
- 2 cups/500ml coconut yogurt (approx the amount in one of those big tubs)
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- ½ cup/75g cacao nibs
- ¼ cup/30g raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 2 pods)
- 2-3 Tbsp (approx) sweetener such as maple syrup or honey
- a pinch of salt
- (optional) orange slices
- (optional) chocolate sauce
- Stir all the dry ingredients (oats, cacao nibs, cacao powder, salt).
- Then add the vanilla, milk, orange zest and juice and mix thoroughly before adding the yogurt.
- Add sweetener to taste.
- Store in the fridge in a tightly sealed Tupperware.
- In the morning, loosen up the oats with a little extra milk (optional), then scoop a portion into a bowl and top with orange slices and chocolate sauce (or whatever you fancy!)