Quesadillas are one of my favourite foods – and generally my attitude towards them is ‘the more (non-dairy) cheese the better’. So my favourite filling is a thick cheese spread like the one in my Dairy Free Cheese and Cranberry Toastie. That requires a bit of forward planning though, so for day 3 of my ‘7 for 7’ healthy kickstart – in the interests of bringing you a recipe that you can whip up on the spur of the moment – I have given you the next best thing – a cheesy mashed avocado and spiced bean filling that’s super healthy and takes no time at all 🙂
The recipe is pretty flexible so feel free to mix things up – swap in different beans or chickpeas, different spices, different herbs or just add in anything you find particularly tasty – I’m thinking roasted sweet potatoes would be a definite winner! Let me know if you find anything I need to try!
- 1 gluten-free wrap (I use Warburton Newburn Bakehouse ones)
- ½ avocado
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup/ cooked kidney beans (drained if necessary)
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes, chopped finely
- a few sprigs of coriander
- Mash the avocado together with the nutritional yeast, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the avocado mix across half the wrap.
- Roughly mash the kidney beans with the chilli powder and cumin, again seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the bean mixture on top of the avocado layer.
- Scatter the tomato pieces and coriander sprigs on top of the beans, then fold over the uncovered side of the wrap to make a sandwich of the filling.
- Cook in a panini press, sandwich toaster or in a dry frying pan, until the bread is crisp and the filling is warmed through.
- Serve, alone as a snack or with a side salad for a light lunch – doubling or trebling the recipe as necessary.