I can’t get enough of smoothie bowls, and from the feedback I’ve been getting – neither can you guys! As I eat them so often, I’ve been exploring ways to make them even healthier and more nourishing, mainly looking at adding veggies (there’s no feeling quite as smug as getting well into your five-a-day first thing in the morning!) and reducing sugars (even unrefined and delicious ones like maple syrup!).
This deep pink, slightly chocolatey bowl is my latest addition and I think you are going to love it. The natural sweetness of the beetroot and banana balances out the more bitter cacao perfectly and it all comes together to make a breakfast so creamy and delicious you could serve it for dessert! Nuts and seeds add a satisfying crunch, but feel free to mix it up with toppings of your choice.
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large bananas, chopped and frozen
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from one pod)
- ½ cup/125ml milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp cashew butter (or substitute for sunflower butter to make nut-free)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy and combined.
- Divide between two bowls and top with your choice of nuts, seeds, cacao nibs, coconut flakes and anything else you fancy!