Where do you get your inspiration for your cooking? In the last couple of years, my diet has had to change a lot to cope with health issues but I still find I can get ideas from the food I used to love but can’t always eat anymore.
I still have a bit of a sweet tooth and I love to make dishes with the flavours of desserts I used to love. This smoothie bowl takes all the key flavours of a classic apple pie – cinnamon-spiced apple, sweet vanilla… and makes it into a healthy treat with no added sugar.
Don’t skimp on the toppings with this bowl – nuts and granola are great for bringing an added crunch – and making sure you don’t even miss the pastry!
- 1 cup/200g of stewed apples (sometimes I get mine from a tin!)
- 3 ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
- 1 cup/250ml almond milk
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from one pod)
- Put all the ingredients – except the banana – in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Gradually add the frozen banana, keeping blending until completely incorporated.
- Divide between two bowls and add toppings – homemade granola is an absolute must to bring out the apple pie flavour!