After an amazing holiday in Hawaii last year (I hiked across a volcano crater, went horse-riding where they filmed Jurassic Park AND got engaged), I came back all crazy about macadamia nuts. How had I not thought to eat these buttery nuts with uh, everything before now? As well as being incredibly tasty, mac nuts – as they call them in Hawaii, are packed with fibre, minerals such as selenium, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese and zinc as well as a whole host of B vitamins which will help keep you feeling tip top!
I was just getting into making my own nut butters at the time, so I decided to develop a mac nut butter called ‘Aloha Spread’ (cause, what else?). Mac nuts are expensive unfortunately but it is so delicious, it really is worth treating yourself. As a slight compensation, the nuts break down very easily in a food processor so it is very quick and easy to make!
Makes 1 jar
- 200g macadamia nuts (or to keep costs down slightly, 150g macadamia nuts plus 50g cashew nuts)
- 1 Tablespoon of raw cacao (or cocoa powder)
- 1-2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- Whizz the nuts in a food processor until they completely break down and form a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whizz again until combined.
- Pour into a jar and use for spreading on toast, topping porridge or just grab a spoon and eat it straight from the jar!